- To ensure public and government records are preserved and managed systematically according to the regulations.
- To ensure Record Unit Agency of every government office abides the regulation set by Sabah State Archives.
The functions and roles of the Record Centre are in line with Sabah State Records and Archives Enactment No. Year 2008 which divided into two unit.
- To coordinate the preparation of specifications for the establishment of agency record units (URA).
- To coordinate the preparation of the rules, instructions and guidance related to the maintenance and conservation of public records for URA.
- To monitor compliance with URA specifications.
- To manage the safekeeping and preservation of public records at every branch of records center.